Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bob's Bobby Bear Mattress Sucks

I am a student of the Bob's Discount Furniture School of Hard Knocks. The good news is that I have learned a valuable lesson and will NEVER shop there again. The products and service do suck...

About a year and a half ago, I was pregnant w/my second child and decided that we needed a larger bed. After seeing all the commercials, I went into Bob's with my husband and son and purchased the Bobby-Bear Euro Top King sized mattress & box spring for $1999. At the time the bed was delivered, the two delivery guys pushed the mattress through my front door, catching the plastic on the door. I made a comment about how I hoped the mattress did not rip....the delivery man assured me it didn't. Two months later, I asked my husband to help lift the mattress to put a new bed skirt on and I noticed a rip in the underside of the mattress. The delivery man flat out lied to me, set up the bed and left the house. I called the customer service # and was advised that they would send out a new mattress right away. They did just that...except this time, the delivery guys put a huge scratch into my ceiling and knocked off some wood trim in the house. They offered to fix it and I told them it was not a problem, my husband could fix it. I was just glad to have a new mattress that wasn't ripped. Fast forward 1 year and 2 months and my mattress is now sagging and extremely lumpy. I too bought the goof proof plan, which doesn't really apply in my situation. I called customer service and asked if I had any options as it just didn't seem right for my $2000 bed was looking as if it was 30 years old. She told me that the bed had "comfort layers" which surrounded your body, but if the mattress had indentations w/o you lying in the bed, that it could be a sign of a manufacturer's defect. She had a technician come out. His name was "Richard" and not only did he get lost coming to my house, he showed up barely speaking English. He brought a level with him which he did not even use. He looked under the bed to discover that the bed frame we bought and that was installed by Bob's delivery men was the wrong frame. Evidently there was support missing from beneath our bed, right where our arses would lay. The man came downstairs, called the customer service desk, told her what he had found, handed me the phone and left w/o saying good bye. The woman on the phone was demeaning. She insisted that by replacing my existing bed frame with the correct one, would solve my problems. I tried explaining that my mattress was crushed down and that an extra support bar across my ass would not rejuvenate my mattress as it was now ruined due to their "goof." I asked for a manager and she could not give me anyone...just more of her kind. I asked who ran the show as I wanted to get a name to file a complaint with and she would not give me any info. I asked what Bob's place was in the business and she advised "Bob was not available..." I have never been one to want to use the C word but it crossed my mind at that time. I will NEVER do business with Bob's again. At this point, I have a new frame coming this week and was told to give it two weeks for the bed to adjust...???? Then if that didn't do the trick, to call and they would send another technician out to look at the mattress again. Has anyone else had this happen? I feel like going to my local Bob's and placing my lumpy mattress in their parking lot for all potential customers to see what happens in a year's time. What a joke this has been. All I got out of this deal was a $2,000 backache!!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We too have a very lumpy mattress after three years which for $1900 is ridiculous. I haven't contacted the store yet but it doesn't look like that will matter.

Unknown said...

Same problem. What's even crazier is that they told me extreme lumps is to be expected with a large man like me (220lbs). I thought that was pretty rude, but I asked about my 105lb wife's side and was told that I should turn it around. I went to flip it and realized you can only use one side. So I turned the mattress and it still feels lumpy. Also, the dead center of the bed retained its hardness which has made snuggling impossible. My back constantly hurts and after 4 years without the money to replace it now I can't turn my neck fully. I have started to sleep on the floor as it is more comfortable than my 2k mattress.

Joss said...

the same thing happened with our Bobby Bear. no matter how we turn it, the center is brand new, but we are sinking along all sides. I'm starting to feel springs. We also got the "goof proof" but learned that in this case, it only applies to the mattress cover they gave us, which we cannot use, as it makes us sweat all night long.

this really is a shame- we loved the bed at first, but within a year.. I'm begging the hubster for a new bed at this point.

we should NOT need a new mattress after 3 years, especially after the cost of this one!

Burkhard said...

I am a student of the Bob's Discount Furniture School of Hard Knocks. The good news is that I have learned a valuable lesson and will NEVER ... bbobsfurniture.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am surprised so many had issues with the Bobby bear, I love mine and I've had it for over 5 years but it had been in storage for a bit. Even still I am using it for over 3 years and I still love it. No lumps in mine, I have the euro top king sized. At the time I shopped around everywhere I could find mattress' and it was by far the most comfortable one. I am thinking perhaps the frame is the culprit, I don't have mine on a frame. I don't like my bed too high up, and so I just have my box springs and mattress on the floor with a dust ruffle over the box spring. I feel bad you had such a bad experience with Bob's. I got my couch from there as well and I still love that too. Hope you guys find some relief soon. Sorry for all your misfortune with Bob's.

Pete said...

I am a student of the Bob's Discount Furniture School of Hard Knocks. The good news is that I have learned a valuable lesson and will NEVER ... ibobsfurniture.blogspot.com